Wednesday, October 11, 2006

DEATH

It was on 24th of july 2001, around 1.15am.

I was in a sort of semi sleep, lying in the bed. I was pondering over what happened few hours ago, at 10pm to be accurate.

At 10pm I had a severe leg pain, the reason for which was the march past I did that morning. I always hated march pasts, but that day I was forced to do it by my physics and Road safety Patrol Sir. ( I was in Eleventh then) Just then My grand mother came to my rescue. She always loved me so much and I spent most of my child hood with her rather than my mother. She massagged my legs and I felt so comfortable that I slept, only to wake up at 1.15am.

I just decided to get some water and got up, only to notice that my Grandma was calling me with a sort of discomfort. She said to me slowly that her chest is paining. I was in for a bit of surprise. The reason being, she never says any of her ailments or pains to me or for that matter to my father. She always bears the pain by herself and does all the works as though every thing is fine. ( Inspite of numerous requests from my father to stop doing kitchen works, she always cooked us delecious dishes, the previous day she had prepared a delecious fish curry) So then, when she requested me to wake up my father, I was baffled.

I, nevertheless, went and woke up my father and explained to him. When my father, along with my mother rushed to the room, she was in a worse situation. She was not able to speak and with great difficulty I controlled my tears. I suspected from my limited biology knowledge that I had, that she was suffering from a massive heart attack. After taking some tablet, she some how was able to speak. The first thing she said was " Please take the children to the other room. They may be afraid." (She was referring to me and my younger sister)

My father had got a taxi to take her to hospital. She was about to get in to the taxi, just then she called my mother and said, "Please every one stop bothering about me. Its nothing. Sugumar (my nick name)has a leg pain. Take care of him. In worrying about me, dont leave his legs unattended." So here is Grandma asking my mother not to worry about her serious heart attack and comparing it to nothing, while requesting her to take care of my simple leg pain as though it was a serious problem. This clearly shows how much love and affection she had for me.

She returned from the hospital the same day, but this time lying STILL INSIDE THE ICE BOX.

11 comments:

Siva said...

I have heard this in tamil. Can understand how much love and affection Ur grandma had towards u and vice-versa. [Fate!!!]

Ur accent and style is very good(particularly in this post, may be because of ur high involvement and ur love towards ur grandma). The line at the end. Perfect finish.

Try to write short stories like this da. [I mean in English]. I have read ur short stories in tamil. They were good. Lets see how they will sound in English.

PS: Try to write 'Tharkolai' in English.

Subramani Dharmar said...

ok i will to translate my stories in english, but im not absoluetly sure how good they will be

Anonymous said...

I lost my grandmother a couple of years ago. It was very painful. The sweetest relationship in the world is between grandparents and grandchildren.

Siva said...

Lets see...

Ganesh Ranganathan said...

very sad da....

feeling death near you can be a very traumatic experience,

I once saw a dead body of a lady who was our tenant. She died by electric shock from immersion rod. I was the first one who saw her body, till today the expression haunts me

Krithika said...

oh!:( don worry..it happens and sumtimes i feel death is yet another life..

Anonymous said...

Dear sugu,

your grandma had tremendous love for the whole lot.She is such a fine personality and I loved her more than my mother.sugu you should wirte your child hood memories. I am sure you have more to share.Its really wonderful to see you writing.continue to write life's realities. I am sure you have keen observation.
lally

Unknown said...

MAcha, you touched my Heart da.... I am Happy to See and hear that u still remember and love our grandma.

No one can beat our Grandma...

She is the best....

Anonymous said...

Oh... that was quite sad... your grandma really loves you. I lost my grandpa a year ago and I was so sad... we start making a bond when i was a cute tiny kid... and our relationship wknd whn he started to have this ailments... yah I really cried that time... Hope I can meet your grandma but I think I don't any chance... Gonna miss her right? no more lovely dishes and sweet remarks from her... she's the best... =)

KK said...

Nice write Subramani. Could feel while reading the post.

Kjo said...

hey subbu...too gud man...very much touching....yeah rite grandparents they always hav so much love for their children n granchildren...i loved ur story to the core...keep blogging da..nice posts man...keep it up...all de best..