Monday, May 24, 2010

Following Our Passion

Every one of us who are reading this article is working in a Software Industry. Now guys, answer this question honestly. How many of you honestly wanted to work in a software Industry in the first place. I could hear more than fifty percentages of you shouting a big “NO”.

But then why are we working here? There could be hundreds of reasons. And I’m sure most of them are valid ones too. It is easy to say, “Go and Follow your Dreams”. But then how easy is that to follow it in reality. For a day or too, we would fiddle our minds with the thought of “Following the Dreams”. But then once our next credit card bill comes up, or when we listen to our parents discussing silently about paying the loan next month, reality would sink in.

After all just for following our dreams, it’s not fair to give more difficulties to our parents. They have already suffered enough for us, as they have taken care of us for more than twenty years. No other Animals except Humans take care of the young ones so long. Last thing, they want us to do now, is quit our safe job now, and take risks.

So how are we to follow our dreams? We don’t work 24 * 7 hours. Most of the software companies don’t work on weekends. Why can’t we use them as time to follow the passion? One might argue weekends are time to catch up with friends, both in real world and in virtual world through Face book and Orkut.

However what if you friends try to find a common passion and follow it. It helps us to serve two masters at the same time. You not only get time to catch up with friends, but you also don’t while away the time doing useless things. You make that useful, by taking one step at a time, towards a summit of achieving your passion. Face book no longer will remain as a place of useless status messages. It will be one more place for you to let other know about you and your passion. It will just serve as one more stepping stone.

These are not my own ideas, and these are not unattainable. Don’t think, it is possible only in Utopia. My friend Siva, together with his gang of friends, has just done in real whatever I had said so far in this article. His Passion is Music. He is a great Key Board player and Music Composer. And like each and every one of us, he is also working in Software Industry. And of course he can’t quit following his passion, just like most of us.

However he and his friends joined hands during weekends and late nights. They not only got time to catch up, but also found a chance to follow their passion. And follow their passion – they did with unwavering commitment. Their hard work has yielded results today. They have launched a Booksai (a combination of book and Music).

Ranam Sugam is a musical novelette that satisfies multiple senses of us at one go. The story line might be a simple love story, but it was effectively narrated and the music is also soothing to ears. This is not exaggeration guys, just because Siva is my friend – Quite a few Directors and Music Directors who got a chance to go through their work, have voiced similar sentiments. (You can know more about them at www.ranamsugam.com)

While going through their website, this thought crossed my mind. “Oops. These guys have done justice to their God given talents. Have I done the same?” These guys have kindled a burning fire in me to follow my passion. And they have showed me a way too, to do that without leaving my financial security and without completely cutting myself away from my friends.

I have not written this article to make you buy Siva’s works. I have not written this article to force you also follow your dreams. I know my writing ability is not that great to convince people to do something. However on seeing their work, my Guilty at not following my passion, nor doing justice to my talents, struck me hard. My passion is writing and I haven’t done any proper writing for some time now. I wanted to write something immediately, something that will help me get over the writer’s block, that I had been suffering from.

Thanks Siva and friends, for rekindling my passion ……………..

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Not everyone who read ur blog is from software industry! however, your polite suggestion from real experience cud be pursued (its passion, so i use this word) by anyone from any field, becos its not a single passion....passions and that is y we are created (jus my belief)
Cheers!
Rakesh