Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Suicide (SHORT STORY)

I went and stood at the end of that long line. There were around two to three hundred people in front of me and I felt that it may take around two hours. Nevertheless I decided that I got to do it today. I can't postpone it, especially after all those things I had to undergo yesterday in my home - No I can't call it as my home any more after all those things that happened.

I decided to spend the time standing here usefully, by conversing with a eight year old girl, who is standing in front of me. I wondered when was the last time I had an conversation with a stranger.

"Whats your name" - I started off.

She said some thing. I was not able to understand it. These days they keep such crazy names to the kids. She did not seem to be too much fascinated to converse with me. But I decided to continue it any how.

"Why are you standing here"

"My dad scolded me"

"You should have went to Court"

"I went, they said scolding is a right punishment for disturbing him when he was going out with his Girl friend....." - Then she started using some words that should not be used by a eight year old kid.

I wanted to continue the conversation, but couldn't. In this TWENTY FIFTH century, where life is being dominated by 'Telemessages', we have even forgotten the basic "Speech", which has in the first place distinguished man from other animals, that are extinct now.

By the way, I am yet to say, why am I standing here. I thought you would know it. In this Twenty Fifth century, where we get every thing (when I say every thing, I mean every thing) right from Wife to groceries just by the click of the button, the only thing for which we need to stand in line is to commit SUICIDE.

Even Suicide used to be very simple before. But only last year, the World Leader decided to scrap Online Suicide and also announced only one Suicide camp would be open per city. He made this decision in order to some how increase the population, which is drastically reducing. He thought at least the prospect of standing in a long line would deter people from committing suicide. But for people like me, it is never going to be a deterrent.

Government officials forced some E-Papers into every one's hand. It would be some crap about "Why we should not commit suicide" - Yet another policy of World Government to reduce Suicide. I started reading it, just because there is nothing else to do. I wanted to kill time some how, before I could kill myself.

It contained a Twentieth century story. "John was sleeping in the cot waiting to die. He had taken poison just few minutes ago .................". The story just continued. I was wholly absorbed in it.

After I read the story, I felt bit of struggle with in my mind. The lead character of the story had no special talents. He had so many problems. And by luck he was saved by his next door neighbor as he was trying to commit suicide and he went on to achieve greater glory. On the other hand, I have so many special talents. I have even received Special Awards from World Science Minister. I have very few problems. Why should I commit suicide. My mind was oscillating.But I had to decide fast.

The girl in front of me had entered the suicide building. In thirty seconds, She would be converted to ashes in the 'Nuclear Chamber". I had to decide soon.

I made up my mind. I will Live. I will attain Glory. I went out of the line.

Just then the cop, who was standing there shouted "What the Hell are you thinking. You stand in line and then leave away. Why are you just trying to increase the length of the line. Do you have no other work".

The cop is just a C grade officer in Government. I am a A grade officer, and he has scolded me, that too in Public. What is the use of Living here after this.

I went and again stood in that LONG LINE.

No comments: